Skip to main content

Local information requirements

These requirements are specific to the Yorkshire Dales National Park. All planning authorities may have such a list of ‘Local information requirements’ to take into account the particular qualities of the area they cover, in our case, the Yorkshire Dales National Park.

Reasons for local requirements:

  • Help you, the planning applicant, from the outset, to understand the type and extent of information that will be required of you.
  • Provide you with greater certainty.
  • Enable us to have all the information we need in order to determine the application, draft the planning permission and word any planning conditions required.
  • Minimise the risk that we will have to come back to you for more information and thus the risk that we will fail to achieve our performance targets.

Select from the following for more details of information that may need to be submitted with planning applications:

Affordable housing statement

A written statement including a site plan showing the number of residential units and the mix of housing type, for example, affordable housing, local needs housing and any market housing. For each unit, the number of bedrooms and the floor space of habitable areas should be given. If different levels or types of affordability or tenure are proposed for different units this should be clearly and fully explained. The affordable housing statement should also include details of the mechanism that will be used to secure affordability in perpetuity for local people at an affordable cost, for example, involving a registered social landlord such as a Housing Association or Trust.

Agricultural dwelling questionnaire

You will need to provide enough information to help us assess the agricultural need for the creation of a new dwelling. Use the agricultural dwelling form provided.

Archaeological assessment

A desk based archaeological assessment and a field evaluation undertaken by suitably qualified and experienced archaeological consultant – please contact our Heritage Team for advice if you are unsure about the potential for archaeological interest in your site.

Biodiversity Net Gain

Under the Town and Country Planning Act (TCPA) 1990, Biodiversity net gain (BNG) is mandatory subject to confirmed exemptions.

Unless exempt, you must demonstrate you have met the minimum mandatory requirement of 10% biodiversity net gain over the pre-development value of the site. The minimum information which you must submit is set in the The Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2015 ( and listed in the National Planning Practice Guidance on biodiversity net gain .

The requirements include:

The metric should be completed by a competent person with specialist knowledge of habitat types and conditions, such as an Ecologist, who can advise on the calculations. You can find an ecology consultant on the CIEEM website.

You must explain how a biodiversity net gain approach has been taken at the development site. This must be carried out in line with the ecological mitigation hierarchy of avoiding and minimising impacts first before BNG is applied. 

The government has advice on exemptions from the BNG requirement. If you think your site is exempt, then you should include a statement in your application form to explain why.  

Small sites guidance:

    Community use assessment

    Required when development is proposed that would result in the loss of, or have an unacceptable adverse affect on, an existing community facility. Applications must be supported by appropriate and proportionate independent evidence, including appropriate financial, business planning, options appraisals, marketing and community engagement evidence.

    Contaminated land assessment

    A report, provided by a person accepted by the Environmental Health Department of the relevant District Council as capable, assessing the extent of contamination of the land, and the efficacy of proposed measures to reduce the level of contamination. We recommend you contact your District Council initially.

    Guidance: Yorkshire and Humberside Pollution Advisory Council guidance on contaminated land

    Ecological/geological assessment

    The requirements are different for different protected sites:

    Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI)

    The applicant/agent will need to contact Natural England and get their consent that permission can be granted. If there are conditions recommended by Natural England, the applicant/agent is required to confirm that they will comply with these conditions. If the applicant/agent does not wish to comply with the conditions then a copy of the consultation response from Natural England should be provided along with details of how any issues raised by Natural England will be addressed.

    Special Area of Conservation (SAC), Special Protection area (SPA) or Ramsar (wetlands of international importance)

    If the proposal is likely to have a significant effect on the protected area then an Appropriate Assessment will need to be completed by the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority. The applicant may be requested to provide such information as may reasonably be required to make such an assessment and at their own cost.

    Limestone Pavement Order, Local Nature Reserves, RIGS, Local Wildlife Site, Open Upland, Important Hedgerow or other locally important site

    Development affecting sites within any of these areas needs to be justified by exceptional circumstances of need which cannot be met in any other way, or where there are wider benefits which outweigh any harm that the development would do to the site. An evaluation prepared by a suitably qualified ecologist of the impact of a proposed development and how any adverse impact could be off-set by mitigation measures. For guidance consult the National Park Authority’s Wildlife & Conservation Team ADD LINK. Any surveys will need to be carried out by an appropriately experienced and qualified person. Where appropriate all reports should be accompanied by plans showing significant wildlife habitat or features.


    Farm buildings questionnaire

    You will need to provide sufficient information to explain the need for the proposed building and why it must be in the proposed location; also give details of how the impact of the building will be minimised. Please complete our Farm building questionnaire.

    Farm support statement

    In some cases, the creation of a new dwelling may be granted planning permission if it is to support the long-term viability of a farm holding by creating rented lets for persons meeting the National Park Authority’s “local needs” criteria or short-term holiday accommodation. Please complete our Farm support statement.

    Flood risk assessments

    Follow Government Guidance.

    Heritage statement

    Applications for proposals affecting heritage assets (listed buildings, scheduled monuments, non-designated archaeological sites and features and traditional buildings [any building pre1914]) and/or their setting must be supported by a Heritage Statement that describes the significance of the heritage asset affected. The level of detail should be proportionate to the assets’ importance and be sufficient to understand the potential impact of the proposal on their significance.

    Please note that Heritage Statements that fail to provide an accurate assessment of significance are likely to delay the application process.

    Government policy is that as a minimum the Historic Environment Record should have been consulted and the heritage asset assessed using appropriate expertise.  Heritage Statements are based upon the understanding of the origins and development of a heritage asset or assets and the importance of their fabric, features, and setting. In the following cases it is likely that the Heritage Statement  will need to be written by a suitably qualified and experienced professional consultant:

    • development that directly affects listed buildings, scheduled monuments or other designated heritage assets or their settings;
    • development in the curtilage of a listed building;
    • larger sites  within or adjacent to a Conservation Area;
    • development affecting a Registered Park or Garden of Special Historic Interest.

    On sites with, or the potential to include, heritage assets with archaeological interest, an appropriate desk based assessment and a field evaluation undertaken by a suitably qualified and experienced archaeological consultant will be required. Such sites are likely to include:

    • major development proposals or significant infrastructure works;
    • development within or adjacent to a Conservation Area and/or the historic core of settlements, e.g. on land close to historic churches, or paddocks/crofts on street frontages;
    • development requiring substantial groundworks or re-modelling, e.g. new access routes, landscaping, ponds, terracing, tennis courts, swimming pools, horse training ménages;
    • development affecting known earthworks e.g. field systems, ridge and furrow, early settlement, historic mining and quarrying, historic parkland/garden features;
    • developments within or close to standing features or buried remains of known archaeological interest; and
    • developments that may directly impact on a Scheduled Monument or other designated

    heritage asset: e.g. Registered Park or Garden of Special Historic Interest.

    Applicants are advised to seek pre-application advice here. You can also contact the National Park’s Historic Environment Team who can advise on the level of detail and nature of the information required to support your application and if it will be necessary to obtain the services of a suitably experienced and qualified Historic Buildings or Archaeological consultant. This is likely to be in the form of a historic buildings appraisal, archaeological desk-based assessment and/or field evaluation.

    Depending on the nature of the proposal a Heritage Statement may need to include the following:

    • Historic Building Appraisal
    • Structural Assessment
    • Schedule of works/Method Statement
    • Archaeological Assessment

    Further Information:
    Yorkshire Dales Local Plan 2015-30 – Policy L1 

    Marketing evidence

    Required when a proposal would lead to a permanent loss of significant employment. The applicant will need to demonstrate through evidence that the use of the site is unlikely to be viable in the longer term for renewed employment activities. This could include market intelligence and market testing that demonstrates that the site has been exposed to sale or rental, at a price, within its current land use classification (or other uses agreed with the Authority), but has not received any realistic offers. The Authority will also seek advice from the local economic development agency. For the Authority to accept market testing as effective evidence of lack of demand it will look for advertising of the premises for a minimum of six months at a price which fairly reflects its value or rental value. The price should be agreed with the National Park Authority in advance, and the estate agent should be advised to register expressions of interest with the Authority.

    Method statement

    Required to accompany applications for the conversion of a traditional building when a Structural Survey is not identified as necessary. A short report is required, which has been prepared by a builder or person of relevant competence, specifically addressing the following:

    • The condition of the building.
    • Confirmation that the proposed works (new openings, removal of roof etc) will not so weaken the structure that the walls shown to be retained will need to be taken down during construction.
    • Details of the method of construction that will ensure the above does not happen.

    Noise impact assessment

    We require either a statement from the District Council Environmental Health Department indicating that the proposed development would be compatible with the location of the site relative to nearest residential properties, taking into account any electrically operated equipment and proposed sound proofing measures or a report from a qualified acoustician giving anticipated noise levels.


    MCS020 Planning Standards for Microgeneration Installations

    Non mains drainage assessment

    Required where connection to the mains sewer is not practical. The Environment Agency’s FDA1 Form will be required to demonstrate why the development cannot connect to the public mains sewer system and show that the alternative means of disposal is satisfactory. If connection requires crossing land that is not in the applicant’s ownership, other than on a public highway, then notice may need to be served on the owners of that land.

    Nutrient Neutrality Assessment and Mitigation Strategy

    Foul drainage details including the location of a PTP drainage field (where required), A completed nutrient budget calculator (link to be provided at a later date).

    A mitigation strategy is required where the budget calculator identifies a positive nutrient loading.

    It is strongly recommended that an environmental and/or ecological consultant is engaged to provide assistance in completing the calculator and designing a mitigation strategy in order to avoid unnecessary delays with your planning application.

    Further information

    Occupancy restriction statement

    Policies C1 ‘Housing in Settlements’, C4 ‘Sub-division’ and L2 ‘Conversion of traditional buildings – acceptable uses’ of the Yorkshire Dales Local Plan 2015-2030 and HS1 of the Eden Local Plan 2014-2032 allow for housing development to meet a local need. To ensure that this housing remains available for local people or for short term holiday let, the polices require the developer to enter into a legal agreement to restrict the occupancy of the new dwellings to persons satisfying a ‘local need’. Applications should therefore include confirmation that occupancy of the dwellings will be subject to the occupancy criteria set out in the local plans.

    Protected species survey and report

    When we consider a planning application we are required by law to consider the likely impact of the development on Bats and their resting places. Proposals that affect potential roosting or resting places, such as roofs, chimneys, fascia boards, mines, tunnels etc will need to be accompanied by a Bat Survey. Please check our validation questionnaire for a list of works likely to trigger the need for a Bat Survey.

    The survey must be carried out by someone holding a relevant licence from Natural England. The planning application can be validated and progressed if it includes a daytime scoping survey (a survey checking for signs of Bat presence and the potential for it) which concludes that there is little or no likelihood of Bats being present or affected by the proposal. However if the Bat surveyor concludes that there is a need for an emergence survey (monitoring the site to record Bat activity) the application will not be validated and will be returned because that information is necessary to determine the application. If the Bat surveyor advises that an emergence survey is needed you are advised to discuss the circumstances with the surveyor and whether there are measures that could be adopted to ensure there is no likelihood of an impact.

    Applicants are advised to determine whether a bat survey is required at the earliest opportunity in the pre-application phase. If the validation questionnaire identifies the need for a survey, applicants are advised to contact an ecological consultant. Where proposals are being made for mitigation and/or compensation measures, information to support those proposals will be needed. Where appropriate, accompanying plans should indicate these.


    Rural enterprise questionnaire

    Dwellings in the open countryside may sometimes be allowed, contrary to general housing policies, if it is clear that such a dwelling is essential to ensure the efficient management of a rural enterprise. Therefore, you will need to provide sufficient information to help us assess the need for the creation of a new dwelling to serve a rural enterprise. Please use the form provided by Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority.

    Structural survey

    A survey of the structural stability carried out by a qualified structural engineer or other qualified person accepted by the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority (YDNPA) to find out the extent of any reconstruction required; or a signed statement from an experienced local builder, accompanied by drawings indicating extent of anticipated rebuilding.

    Sustainable drainage report (SUDS)

    National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) and House of Commons Written Statement HCWS161 require planning authorities to ensure that sustainable drainage systems for the management of runoff are put in place unless demonstrated to be inappropriate. Planning authorities must also ensure that through the use of planning conditions or planning obligations that there are clear arrangements in place for ongoing maintenance over the lifetime of the development.