Fees are set by the Government and are calculated based on development type. There are some applications that are exempt from fees.
National Planning Fee Increase From 6 December 2023
Following debates in Parliament, the Town and Country Planning (Fees for Applications, Deemed Applications, Requests and Site Visits) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2023 have been approved and made on 8th November 2023.
The regulations can be viewed here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/id/uksi/2023/1197.
The regulations do the following:
- Increase planning application fees by 35% for applications for major development and 25% for all other applications.
- Introduce an annual indexation of planning applications fees, capped at 10%, from 1 April 2025.
- Remove the fee exemption for repeat applications (the ‘free-go’). An applicant will still be able to benefit from a free-go if their application was withdrawn or refused in the preceding 12 months, subject to all other conditions for the free-go being met.
- Reduce the Planning Guarantee for non-major planning applications from 26 to 16 weeks.
- Introduce a new prior approval fee of £120 for applications for prior approval for development by the Crown on closed defence sites.
The new fees will come into force from the start of 6th December 2023.
An applicant will still be able to benefit from a free-go if their application has been refused or withdrawn in the preceding 12 months, subject to all other conditions for the free-go being met.
How much does a planning application cost?
You can calculate planning fees using the Planning Portal’s Fee calculator. You will be asked a number of questions then the fee will be calculated for you.
Alternatively you can:
Legal fees for Section 106 Agreements
- Standard Agreement: £500 (inclusive of VAT)
- Legal fees for Section 106 Agreements
- Complex Agreements*: between £50 to £80 an hour plus VAT, subject to a minimum charge of £500
*Decision on whether an agreement is complex and, if so, the hourly rate applicable, is made by YDNPA solicitor.
Minerals and landfill
Regulations have come into force requiring the payment of fees to planning authorities for the monitoring of mineral and landfill waste sites that are covered by extant planning permissions. The fees set by the Government are £397 for each site visit to an active site or £132 for a visit to an inactive site.
Applications exempt from fees
The following planning applications are exempt from fees:
- Any application for Listed Building Consent.
- Any application to provide means of access for disabled people to a building, to alter an existing home for a disabled person who lives or proposes to live there, or to provide facilities for his or her greater safety, health and comfort.
If you are unsure about any of the above the Senior Planning Technician can always assist you – phone 01969 652345, email email@example.com
Payment – Portal applications must be paid for through the Planning Portal.
Payments direct to YDNPA are preferred, via bank transfer or bacs. When you have made the payment please can you email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can ensure it has been received:
- A/c Name: Yorkshire Dales NP 97
- Sort Code: 20-61-53
- Account: 80895814
Cheques are also accepted, made payable to ‘Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority’, addressed to:
Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority
Receipts are issued when the application has been checked and accepted as complete.