If you don’t want to know the answers, look away now! You can have a go at the quiz yourself here. Otherwise, read on…
1. What am I? (1 point)
Answer: A common frog
2. What is the name for this type of feature? (1 point)
Name the parts at A and B (1 point each)
Answer: Limestone pavement
3. Dent is famous for a ‘terrible’ group of people.
A. Who were they?
B. Why were they ‘terrible’?
(1 point each)
A. They were the ‘terrible knitters of Dent‘
B. They produced a ‘terrible’ amount of knitting (that is, they produced a lot – because they were so quick!)
4. Roe deer young (usually called fawns or kids) are born with spots, but how long do they generally keep them for? (1 point)
A. 2-3 weeks
B. 8-10 weeks
C. 4-6 months
Answer: B. 8-10 weeks
After that they develop their grey-ish winter coat.
5. Which of these is NOT an alternative name for a curlew? (1 point)
D. Thick knee
Answer: D. Thick knee is actually an alternative name for a stone-curlew. Not a true curlew, it is from a different family (Burhinidae).
6. How many kilometres of public footpath are there in the Yorkshire Dales National Park? (1 point)
Answer: C. 2,628km of footpath – this does not include bridleways and other public rights of way
7. The Yorkshire Dales is known for its sheep farming (that’s why our logo is a ram’s head), but which of the following is it correct to say? (1 point)
A. The herd of sheep was in the field
B. The herd of sheep were in the field
Answer: Neither. A group of sheep is called a flock, not a herd!
8. Which of these birds calls a “t’wit t’woo”? (1 point)
A. Barn owl
B. Little owl
C. Tawny owl
What is the secret of its call? (1 point)
Answer: C. Tawny owl
The call is actually made by two birds, The female calls “t’wit” (or more acurately a “ke-wick” sound) and the male replies “t’woo” (or hoo hoo hoo).
The t’woo call can often be heard just on its own as this is also the male’s territorial call.
9. Name the breed of sheep (1 point)
10. Can you name the town or village in each anagram? They are all in the National Park. (1 point each)
A. alpha mc
B. deer flit shh
C. not ring
D. he was
E. begin wing
So, are you pleasantly surprised at how well you did, or did you know you had it in the bag?
Well done, we hope you enjoyed the quiz and learning more about the Yorkshire Dales.
1-5 Nice try! There were some tricky questions in there!
6-10 Good job – well on your way to being a Yorkshire Dales expert.
11-17 Awesome! You really know your stuff.
18? Wow – we have an expert here – when can we sign you up!?
This is just to play for fun at home among friends and family so please don’t post your answers up so that everyone can have a go! Look out for our next quiz coming soon…