A 1-day course for beginners who want to be able to use a map confidently in the outdoors, plan your own walks and follow paths and other linear features:
- Understand how to use map symbols and scales, on a variety of maps.
- Plan a suitable walk that takes you away from the crowds.
- Orientate the map with and without a compass enabling you to ‘read’ the land around you.
- Choose simple navigation strategies and routes.
- Estimate how long a walk will take using the map.
- Understanding contours and how to use them assess the steepness and shape of the land.
- Use relocation techniques using the land around you
- Understand access rights and responsibilities inc the Countryside Code