Skip to main content
Sunrise at Ribblehead The sun rising over Pen-y-ghent in Upper Ribblesdale

When planning permission is needed

Whether you need planning permission for work you are hoping to carry out depends on a number of things. The sections below cover various situations in which you may need planning permission. Carrying out works without planning permission where required may result in enforcement action being taken and you could end up with a fine (of up to £20,000) and / or a criminal conviction.

If you do need planning permission we offer a Planning advice service so that you can discuss your proposal with a planning officer before submitting a planning application. This is a chargeable service depending on the nature of the proposal.

Residential planning permission

If you are considering any of the following, planning permission will always be required:

  • Front or side extensions
  • Cladding or applying render
  • Insertion of dormer windows
  • Works to flats
  • Balconies or verandahs

If you are planning to build an extension or carry out work to your home or garden there are some cases where you may not need to apply for planning permission, providing the works meet certain limits and conditions, this is known as Permitted Development. For a fee we offer a Permitted development enquiry service to confirm whether or not planning permission is required.


Most alterations to business premises need planning permission.

Outdoor advertisements

Most outdoor advertisements require permission known as Advertisement Consent.

Listed buildings

If your proposed works are to a Listed Building, you will almost certainly need Listed building consent, as well as any relevant planning permission or building regulations approval. You can find out whether your building is listed using the Historic England website.

Trees and hedgerows

If a tree is protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or is located within a designated conservation area then you may need to obtain consent before carrying out any works to it. Contact our Trees & Woodlands Team.