Skip to main content
Trees in Conservation Areas

Trees in Conservation Areas

What is a conservation area?

Conservation areas are ‘areas of special architectural or historical interest the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance’. Within the Yorkshire Dales National Park they are designated by the authority and are designed to protect buildings and landscape features, including trees, which contribute to the special character of the area.

At present the National Park Authority has a rolling programme of designating new conservation areas, usually based on villages, however a number of large rural conservation areas have also been designated. It is important that you contact us to make sure that you are not in a conservation area and we will be able to give you details about any new designations.

You can find out more on Conservation areas here.

Special protection of trees in conservation areas

Trees in conservation areas that are already protected by a tree preservation order (TPO) are subject to the normal TPO controls.

Anyone proposing to cut down or carry out work on a tree over 75mm (or 100mm if the works are to improve the growth of other trees) in diameter measured at 1.5m above ground level in a conservation area is required to give the National Park Authority six weeks prior notice.

This allows the National Park Authority to consider whether a TPO should be made in respect of the tree. To undertake work to a tree in a conservation area without going through the proper procedure will constitute an offence in the same way as a tree protected by a TPO.

When tree work in a conservation area is being planned, the National Park Authority must be notified. Anyone can notify to undertake work to trees in conservation areas, whether they have a legal interest in the land or not. We may ask about the notifier’s legal interest in the trees but the Authority is not responsible for the actions of the applicant who carries out work which he is not legally entitled to do, even though he does so in accordance with the notification procedure.

We keep a register of all notifications and this is available to the public during office hours at Colvend, Grassington.

Carrying out work to trees located in conservation areas

Before making a notification please read our guidance notes. Notifications that include photographs, provide accurate tree locations, and give a full description of the proposed works can usually be dealt with more quickly.

How we can help with your notification

If you would like assistance before your notification we will:

  • Provide clear instructions, a notification form and an explanatory leaflet from the Department of Communities and Local Government.
  • Discuss your notification at pre-notification stage
  • Provide a list of potential contractors to assist you in finding a contractor able to carry out the proposed work.
  • Inform you at the earliest opportunity if the dead or dangerous (DD) five day rule might apply.

What happens when we receive your notification

When we receive your notification we will:

  • Discuss the notification during notification period.
  • Inform you, at the earliest opportunity if the DD five-day rule applies.
  • Consult with interested parties.
  • Advise when you should expect a response. Process your notification within six weeks.
  • Process your notification efficiently and professionally.

When the decision has been made

We will send either:

  • A letter or email that confirms that the National Park Authority has no objection to the work taking place or;
  • A TPO made in the interests of amenity. The proposal would then have to be the subject of a formal application under the TPO.