The Tourism team hold a number of events and workshops throughout the year aimed at tourism businesses. These sessions also provide an opportunity to meet other businesses, network, learn from each other and share experiences and talk about tourism initiatives in the area. The team hold major events and forums to bring businesses together, spread good practice and provide ideas and inspiration, and help improve their environmental sustainability.
Details of upcoming business events and workshops are promoted here, on our Yorkshire Dales National Park Tourism Partnership: communication group and included within our ‘Tourism Talk‘ newsletter.
Astro-tourism workshop 2022
On 16 March 2022, the Tourism team hosted an online session focussing on astro-tourism, the annual Dark Skies Festival and the opportunities it creates for tourism businesses, dark sky lighting advice and the availability of grants to fund businesses looking to upgrade their lighting.
The session has also been edited and broken up into the various sections as described below:
- Helen Dalton (Part-time YDNPA Tourism Officer) introduces the Dark Skies Festival and outlines the opportunities for your business and how you might get involved.
- Katy Foxford (Part-time YDNPA Tourism Admin Officer) explains the key social media statistics and data collected during the Dark Skies Festival and includes some suggestions on how tourism businesses could use the Dark Skies Festival in their own promotion.
- Kathryn Storey (Part-time YDNPA Tourism Officer) briefly outlines why you might want to consider applying to become a Dark Sky Friendly Business.
- Guest speaker, Neill Sanders from GoStargazing, introduces what Astro-Tourism market is and the opportunities it presents to businesses.
- Hannah Kay (PA to the YDNPA Park Services Director and Dark Skies Project Officer) talks about the key features of Dark Sky Friendly Lighting and the funding that is currently available to help businesses make the required changes.
- Finally, Nethergill Farm near Oughtershaw was approached by CBBC Newsround to put together a short film about the Dark Skies Festival that would appeal to a younger audience. I’m sure you’ll agree, the family did a fantastic job! View the short film produced by CBBC Newsround.
Astro-tourism workshop 2021
In January 2021 we held our first free astro-tourism training course for tourism businesses in the Yorkshire Dales. Run by astro-tourism experts Neill Sanders and Richard Darn, it was a great opportunity to learn more about what our International Dark Sky Reserve status means for the Yorkshire Dales and what benefits this might bring to local businesses such as the growing interest from visitors looking to experience a truly dark sky. The session was recorded so if you’d like to view the session, please contact us.