Skip to main content
Muker barns Muker barns in the hay meadows

Agri-environment Schemes

How we can help

We offer a first stop service for farmers and landowners on both the old and the new agri-environment schemes. We work closely with Natural England who advise on the Government’s agri-environment schemes. The most up to date information on the schemes, including how to apply and scheme manuals, can be found on their website. Key dates for all scheme applications and claims can be seen here. Supporting farmers and landowners to continue to deliver a range of public benefits through national agri-environment scheme agreements is one of the objectives agreed by the Authority and a wide range of local partner organisations in the National Park Management Plan 2019-24.

We can help with…

  • Free advice visits to explain the range of national and regional grants available and how to apply for them.
  • Help with all aspects of the Countryside Stewardship scheme application process and the different levels of the Scheme. There may be a charge associated with some of this work but please contact us to find out how we can help.
  • If you are interested in applying for a Water Capital Grant you will need to have your application endorsed by the Catchment Sensitive Farming Officer (CSFO) and inside the National Park Boundary we are the acting CSFOs. Please contact us.
  • We can also help people who are having difficulty with accessing any of the information.

Countryside Stewardship

Countryside Stewardship has two tiers; Mid Tier and Higher Tier. Unlike Environmental Stewardship, Countryside Stewardship is parcel based and not whole-farm. Applications are competitive and will be scored against others nationally.

Application windows:

  • Applications for Higher Tier opened on 9 February 2021 and close on 30 April 2021.
  • Applications for Mid Tier opened on 9 February 2021 and close on 30 July 2021. Note a paper application pack must be requested by 28 May and an online application pack must be requested by 30 June.

Countryside Stewardship also has Capital Grants including options for managing hedgerows, walling and the Water Capital Items as well as some new Air Quality Capital Items. These can be incorporated into the Mid or Higher Tier agreements or can be a Stand Alone Capital Grant.

If including Capital Grant works as part of a Mid Tier application and you require Catchment Sensitive Farming Officer support you must contact us by 18 June 2021.

Capital Grants

The Capital Grant scheme opened on 9 February 2021 and closed on 30 April 2021.

The Capital Grant options have been split into three categories – Boundaries, trees and orchards; Water quality; and Air quality. For a stand alone 2 year Capital Grant, applicants can apply for up to £20,000 per category.

If you are considering applying for grants for management of priority water catchments the last date to request support from the Catchment Sensitive Farming Officers was 19 March 2021.

Please contact us by: